If you don’t know Mother’s Day is this weekend (Sunday), I can only assume you’ve been living under a rock, tucked far away from modern civilization for the past few weeks. Everything I see in stores, on TV and online is promoting Mother’s Day (as it should, it’s a well-deserved holiday). So, to jump on the Mother’s Day media band wagon, I figured I would share the most memorable pearls of wisdom I received from my mom over the years.
1. Don’t talk on the phone or take a shower during a thunderstorm.
2. One day you’ll find your very own prince charming.
3. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.
4. Pick your battles.
5. Money cannot buy happiness.
6. Be nice to your sister, after your dad and I are gone, you’ll need each other.
7. This too shall pass.
8. The world is your oyster, you can be anything you want to be if you put your mind to it.
9. Don’t buy it unless it’s on sale.
10. Don’t put stinky food garbage in the kitchen garbage can, you’ll stink up the house, take it outside.
What are some of the best words of wisdom you’ve received from your mom? Or, what do you tell your kids over and over again?
Finally, here’s a fantastic recipe from Bon Appétit for Green Apple Sangria, perfect for brunch with mom this weekend.
2 green apples, cored, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
Zest of 1 orange, removed in long strips with a vegetable peeler
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 cinnamon sticks
3/4 cup brandy
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup Cointreau or other orange liqueur
1 750-ml bottle Spanish red wine
1 cup club soda
Stir apples, orange zest and juice, cinnamon, brandy, lemon juice, sugar and Cointreau in a large pitcher to combine. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Do Ahead: Sangria base can be made 1 day in advance. Cover; chill.
Add wine to sangria base and stir to combine. Pour sangria over ice, top off with club soda and garnish with orange slices.
Cheers to all you moms out there – especially my dear friend and favorite first-time momma, Jennie W!